RCU Forums - View Single Post - 200mph electric delta brainstorming
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2013, 06:02 PM
bpbrinson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 200mph electric delta brainstorming

A 200 mph F5D should stay under $1000 unless you go for one of the high end airframes. And about 1KW will do it. The current crop of F5D can not hold enough battery to hit 230-260. If you tried, you would be replacing a puffed pack almost every flight. There are some speed cup type planes that are available, one called Ninja Speed that can hold the power, but you must build it from plans. External mounted big outrunner running a prop like the one I linked above. 6-8 KW and about 240-250 if you don't blow it up. The high aspect F5D turn at very high speeds and maintain speed. Turn deltas at at high speed (necessary to keep them in sight) and you scrub speed in the turns that you are always hitting that wall. Deltas under 200 go very fast, cheaply. Start getting close to 200 and you use so much energy in the turns that only shear HP will get you a tiny bit more. High aspect ratio maintains much more in the turns. I know....I currently fly an Enigma F5B, 4KW hotline, 175 flat and level, no dives, 200+ Power on dives. [X(] I also fly a 600 watt Sunracer III 1M F5D (old rules) It is a solid 160. I have flown 200 mph Deltas and flew A LOT of 150+ deltas. They are the fastest and slowest planes at most any field. Cheap, simple, and good honest flying airplanes. You can do some crazy thing with them like....150 mph knee cap pass, even with your self, kill engine as pulling full back. Delta does a decelerating, 50-75 foot fibonacci loop followed by a walking speed, high alpha belly flop at your feet. Nuff said.......

Brooks