RCU Forums - View Single Post - Converting a 60 glow to gas (with glow plug)
Old 06-01-2013, 04:24 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Converting a 60 glow to gas (with glow plug)

Yes you can put a Walbro carb on a engine. I did it here with a 9cc gas engine. You need to make an adapter for it of course, but it works. Using a glow plug and keeping it lit up with a on board glow ignitor works too. You may be able to get a extra hot heat range glow plug and only need to keep it lit at lower RPMS too. You can also use muffler pressure if you don't use a Walbro carb. Maybe adapting a Evolution gas engine carb from their 10cc gas engine.

NV engines GX40 uses a ultra Hot Turbo glow plug along with other modifications to get their little engine to run gasoline with a glow plug. It actually works pretty good like that too.

For 10cc gas engines I would suggest running at least a 25:1 fuel too oil ratio as the bushed connecting rod still needs the oil a 20:1 ratio if the engine needs to be run in. I use Stihl Ultra synthetic oil in my small gas engines. But In my NV engines GX 40 or 6.5cc engine I use Klotz Benol at a 14% oil level as the manufacturer suggests using it with that engine.

You cna also contact the folks at CH Ignitions about getting a engine converted to using Spark Ignition. Their slip ring adapters for the engines works really good too. I would suggest using a engine that has more cooling fins on it for a gas conversion.Some glow engines have very little in the way of cooling fins and may not make the best choice for a gasoline conversion. But it depends on what you are doing of course.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99500.jpg
Views:	638
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	1887480   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96106.jpg
Views:	671
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	1887481