RCU Forums - View Single Post - Yet another Yellow Spitfire build thread
Old 06-09-2013, 09:28 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default RE: Yet another Yellow Spitfire build thread

Thanks gents for checking in and for the encouragement. And thank you Rick for the additional information in regards to the power system you have chosen for the Spit. Having seen a few of Rick's other large electric warbirds perform I have little doubt that the Spitfire will be more than adequately powered. Rick has spared no expense in the pursuit of the best quality accessories for this build and I am confident that the finished airplane will be a very reliable and user friendly scale bird. It should also have very good contest potential if I can maintain the same high standard in construction as can be found in the various components. I'm sure other builders out there can appreciate that it's much easier to get excited about a project when you know that all your hard work is not going to be compromised by sub-standard accessories!

While no actual Spitfire construction has been accomplished yet I did learn a few things today that will be directly applied to the Spit build. I'm sure many of you are aware that split flaps, such as those on the Spit, can be a real nightmare to make rigid and keep from warping. As it so happens the other commission build I'm currently working on also has split flaps and I decided to construct them from G10 fiberglass sheet in an attempt to rectify those issues and still end up with a scale-ish looking flap. I had two concerns with using the G10 which included the best method of cutting the material as well as gluing it. (I've got minimal experience with working with the stuff.) Both concerns were for naught however as I found that I can cut G10 up to 1/16" thick with the laser quite nicely and, after roughing with sandpaper, CA works very well for sticking it all together. This is good news since there are a number of areas of both builds where G10 is the material of choice. Below is a picture of a small section of flap which, while not for the Spitfire, illustrates exactly how I plan to construct the Spit flaps when the time comes. It is very rigid, perfectly straight, and the trailing edge is less than 1/32" thick but still very durable. On top of that it is practically ready for paint! If there is any down side it is that the G10 is a bit heavy. (Negligable on a model this size though.)