RCU Forums - View Single Post - CM-6 Gas Engine problem
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2013, 07:49 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CM-6 Gas Engine problem

ORIGINAL: LARRYKOP

I had a simlilar problem with a XYZ 53 CC Twin that I bought from Hobby King. I found the problem on the test stand. The motor simply would not run with a Nickle Metal Hydride battery pack. When I switched to an old Nickle Cadium pack it ran great. I know that this doesn't make sence. I think these motors are drawing more power than the pack can deliver. I was using a 4 cell 1400 mh new NIMH pack and it wouldn't run. It ran fine on a very old 4 cell 600 MH Nickle Cadium pack. I'm in the process of building a Voltage regulator using a LM 7805 so I can use 2 cell Lipo's.
I have been in this hobby for 35 years, and I have a complete machine shop. I have done complete ignition conversions.
Larry
[email protected]
It really does make sense Larry. NIMH batteries are known to have higher internal resistance than NICDs. The systems were designed for NICD use.
I think you are asking for trouble with a regulator. Its just another part to fail. And the resistance of the regulator adds to the internal resistance of the battery.
And a LIPO is not exactly a safe battery to put in an airplane. In a crash you will likely lose all your equipment in addition to your aircraft in the resultant fire.