RCU Forums - View Single Post - CARF-Models worth the extra money?
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013, 07:02 AM
RichardGee
My Feedback: (156)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: CARF-Models worth the extra money?

With an inordinate level of planning and expense, a superlative builder MAY be capable of producing a lighter airframe – that point I will concede. However, there are very few modelers today who could produce a lighter, straighter, and stronger airframe than a CARF. Such a production requires jigs, hand-selected wood (have you priced balsa and light ply lately?), and strategically placed composites.

Ever tried to produce a scale thickness (i.e. razor thin) and laser straight trailing edge using wood? This is routine on a CARF...and the trailing edge is rock hard.
– how many modelers have the expertise, let alone the patience?

An aggressive 3D flyer can turn any lightly-built wood airframe into a loose collection of sticks – not so with a composite airframe. And you still have drawbacks of wood/foam vs. composites when it comes to exposure to fuels and temperature extremes.

Did I mention hangar rash? Bang a wood wing leading edge into a door frame…you probably just produced a dent….. ‘nuf said.

As far as cost, IF a $2500 CARF lasts 5 times as long as a $1250 wood and plastic ARF, is it REALLY twice as expensive? If you do the math, the CARF is actually less than HALF the cost.

Am I completely SOLD on CARFs? Yup - and this is coming from an 'RC modeler' of more than 4 decades who still very much enjoys scratch and kit building - a wonderful art form that requires patience and craftsmanship.
My point is simply to educate those who may have been put off by the high initial price of a composite airframe.
You should know that when you plunk down your hard-earned bucks on a CARF-Model, you get what you pay for; when you amortise the cost and performance over the life of the airplane, the CARF is a superior value.