View Single Post
Old 07-03-2013, 02:53 PM
Jb Stearman
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Concept Fleet Biplane

bob418

Very nice pictures

It's good that you have the cowl.There is an easy way to fix your cowl. I used this method on my Goldberg Super Decathlon when it went in hard.It takes a little time but is well the effort.
First realign the broken edges of the cowl.Using medium CA and kicker,spot glue the cowl back together to restore its shape.Do this from the inside. Then go back and fill in all the cracks again from the inside with the CA.Take some light glass cloth strips and CA them over these joints. This should give you a pretty strong but still ugly cowl to work with. You may want to check the fit with the fire wall at this time.

Working from the outside-
You are going to have areas that will still need filling in.Cut a strip of the light glass cloth just a tad longer and wider than the area you are working with.Lay it on that area and saturate it with THIN CA. When dry and cured ,lightly sand the edges and repeat the process until the area is completely filled in and flush and smooth with the surface.Work with small areas at a time until the whole cowl is done.When satisifed,wet sand the cowl smooth to get it ready for priming and painting.Rework any areas you don't like.For really small areas,you can use a body filler.

When completely satisfied,you can then prime, paint and add cylinders and details.

Bob, I hope this gives you encoragement for an alternate solution.

Jim