RCU Forums - View Single Post - Old futaba radios
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2013, 07:40 PM
John Sohm
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Old futaba radios

I got my class C license back in 1976. You needed a class D to operate CB radios and class C to operate radio controlled vehicles. There were three bands available: 27 mhz, 50 mhz and 72 mhz. My first system was a single stick Royal 6 channel AM set I bought off Mr. TopGun Frank Tiano who was a member of the Kingston Aero Modellers. My very next system was a Futaba 6 channel AM set with the usual set of gimbals. I used that radio for well over 10 years before I got another set and it never gave me a lick of trouble. Seems they were made to last then. I know there are a lot of people that are into Vintage RC and they actually use vintage radios to equip their vintage models. I'm talking about escapements and push button actuated radios. A friend of mine showed me a radio he bought from a guy in Japan. It was an OS transmitter. Beautiful blue anodized aluminum case with a big push button on it. Single channel and had a good heft to it until you took out the dry cell battery that powered it. What a classic. Well enough history lesson.