RCU Forums - View Single Post - Need engine and servo suggestions on new build
Old 07-06-2013, 01:14 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Need engine and servo suggestions on new build

OK irrespective of whatever the questionable recomendation of the manufacturer is I have a suggestion for you to ask of them and its really a simple one: Have they ever actually flown that little cub with a gassor engine (any gassor)? I already know what the answer is gonna be and that is silence!

Now lets talk turkey about something else that is critical to this electric to gas conversion (I am not talking about electric to glow) and make no mistake if you really do this you are a test pilot with your wallet.

Electric motors are Smooth, structure is always done lighter. Now next down the smooth scale is two stroke glow engine, A bit down that scale are four stoke glow engines and guess what at the bottom are those gassers that you seemed so determined to stick on an electric airframe.

Now don,t get me wrong, I have done a fair number of electric to Small glow conversions and they are certainly succesful but going from an electic directly to the Shake and Bake gasser. What a recipe for a disasterous and disappointing conversion.

OK once agine here lets talk a little more about the miss match that you are proposing and agine another factor that has not yet been pointed out. I am sure you have not thought this out (certainly not your manufacturer) .

Look at the photo I posted its one of my gassors that happens to be be a 55cc but what I wish to point out is that shinny ignition box right behind the engine. That box and the attendant high tension cable is going to be virtually the exact same size on a 55 or a little 10cc. Which means you gotta find a place to stuff it close behind the engine. Look at that thing and think about it.

Look now at your cub or any cub: They have a very short nose, They have a very deep windshield and not much cowl area. This area is pretty much consumed with your fuel tank (This is a problem with many cubs even using glow engines and no ignition boxs. So where are you gonna put that pesky box on your airplane that is to small to stuff all that stuff. I know make it real ugly and hang it under externally, ya sure.

You need to if you already own the airplane to either go as designed with an electric system or convert to glow and small glow at that, which If I were to do it would be an OS .25/35AX no more.

If you have not bought it yet and you want a gasser get an appropriate larger cub.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94651.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	1898119