RCU Forums - View Single Post - What Aircraft are you installing your DLE20
Old 07-22-2013, 10:17 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: What Aircraft are you installing your DLE20

Hay Bigtj10,

I've built and flown Ugly Sticks for 40+ years and its my all time favorite, relaxing model to fly. The model is tough as nails and easy to repair...and they have been around in many different forms, by many different manufacturers. There isn't a model out there...and I know its debatable, but the Ugly Stick is one of the most predictable flying RC models ever designed. A gentleman named Dick Jenson had one of the first kits out and it was a .60 size model. A guy named Larry Lenord had a smaller version called, the Little Stick, and I must have built dozens of this model over the years. I've built them with one, two, three and four engines over the years and the bi-plane version too. There is the Sweet and Low stick, for both in gas and glow sizes out there...and I've even built one with a G-Mark .030 @ 10 oz. This model has been around for so many years, is simply because it handles so well on both take off, and landing, that it brings smiles to all they fly them. Acrobatically it suffers a bit and Birdi always had a better aerobatic model (Kaos series) then Jenson Ugly Stick.

I use flaps in three positions. Full up, 30 deg. and 60 deg. All flaps do is get you off the ground faster and the model will nose up with flap application. On landing with 30 degrees of flaps, you will have a softer elevator and she rounds out real sweet, to a three point landing. Full flaps will slow you down and you lose some glide performance. You may need to carry some power with full flaps, but you can fly her more near the stall and she still hangs in there. No other model every flew for me as sweet as an Ugly Stick.

Remember to dial in some down elevator on your computer radio, with flap application.

I fly my Ugly Sticks in all kinds of winds and turbulence. Flight control is so positive and the model is so forgiving, it makes you look good, even when your knees are knocken.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui