RCU Forums - View Single Post - A question of taste and suitability ....
Old 08-01-2013, 06:03 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: A question of taste and suitability ....

ORIGINAL: karlik

I lived in orange county CA (mid 80s I think) when an rc plane was flown into the goodyear blimp (appeared intentional). Gave those of us in the hobby a real black eye. The image is very poor taste.
I'm not even so sure about the promotion - the idea of a picture worth $100 may create a situation where people stage a bad crash. Only time will tell.

Hi Karlik ,

It is situations like you describe that made the crash cash ad worrisome enough to me to want to point it out as something that no one should condone. Yes , WE all know that the guy who hit the blimp , just like the guy who wrote that ad , don't represent the majority of the RC flyers of the world . Problems will come when or if a high profile RC accident catches some news coverage and the news reporters latch on to images such as the crash cash and plaster that all over the 6:00 news . Such an image "going Viral" can do us nothing but harm during times of the unwanted spotlight of a bad accident and I wouldn't put it past the news one bit to use such images to further sensationalize whatever unfortunate event caused the attention in the first place .

To see that the response has been pretty much 100% in agreement that the ad is in poor form , means it would be great if someone with a connection to HK might let them know that an average random sampling of RCers found the ad offensive and maybe they should come up with a different , less inflammatory image to promote their incentive program ? You'll notice I'm not yelling "BAD BAD HK !" ... I believe anyone can have the occasional good judgement lapse when it comes to creative ideas , and if their attention is called to it I would expect they would act accordingly and remove the image from the promo .