RCU Forums - View Single Post - What Next After the Hobbyzone Champ?? Getting Into Flying....
Old 08-18-2013, 08:08 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The Spektrum DX6i is a very good radio at the price. I have four models on mine and no complaints . . . except I wish I had a seventh channel already for my Radian Pro sailplane. I've always been a Futaba fan (since the 70's) but Spektrum is fine. The DX6i is a lower end unit and isn't quite as nice a cosmetic presentation as my older Futaba 6DA. Different era.

Note the radio is not a must, as you say, but bind and fly sure is a nice feature for lazy folk, time challenged pilots or orphans without a mentor to help them get started. I must confess I have gotten spoiled with it. But almost got burned twice with wild trims that would have obliterated a novice pilot's model. In both cases the elevators were way out of trim and overly sensitive as unboxed. I needed 15 clicks of down to get level flight with the Radian in a glide. Under full powder in wanted to loop endlessly; or at least a figure 9 into the turf. Happily I launched at half-throttle.

I also have added an AnyLink module (Tactic park-flyer Tx) to the DX6i and can bind the E-Flite offerings as well. Got the module free with the F-86 EDF. Can't beat that with a stick.

The T-28 would be a good step up. IMHO you should avoid the ultra micros. They are less expensive but twitchy and hard to see. Though they do fly amazingly well once trimmed up. The Easystar yu also mentioned isn't a bad choice, either.