RCU Forums - View Single Post - Pilot and Instrument panel
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2013, 09:40 AM
Sandy69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Wayne, I have not been competing on a regular basis, I think my last contest was in April of 2010 and I did not have a pilot figure nor was I penalized for it. I would agree that an organization such as IMAC would want to standardize in all regions and I agree with that philosophy but in the 10 years that I was a serious competitor I do not recall seeing this particular rule enforced. This would mean that all aircraft would have to be checked somehow or go with the honor system and have that information asked on the registration form. IMO a CD has enough on his plate to begin with to be running around or trying to coordinate someone to look into canopies. To be honest what has driven me away from returning to IMAC is the decline in participation. On Saturday I was racing at a club whom hosted an IMAC contest in April and had the results posted. There were 3 advanced pilots and no unlimited. I had flown at this clubs IMAC contests for years and those classes always drew closer to 8 advanced and 5 unlimited pilots. IMO part of what is driving participants away is the complexity of sequences. As I was practicing for that last contest I was fortunate enough to have Fred Weaver ( Caller for TOC pilot Dave Von Linsowe ) come up and ask what sequence I was flying and when I informed him that it was the current year unlimited known sequence his opinion was that it was more difficult then any TOC sequence he had seen. I just think that most guys can't afford the amount of practice time it takes to do the current upper class sequences well.

when I first got into IMAc back in the late '80's, the sequences were VERY close to the IAC big guys. Now, the IMAC sequence bears little or no resemblance......since IMAC moved to Muncie it seems to have become "big business", with sequences driven by a need to prove "my huge plane can beat your huge plane in manouvers no real plane can attempt!" - Just my 2 pennies..