RCU Forums - View Single Post - DSM2 lockout?
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2013, 07:01 PM
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fasteststang
I've been doing lots of research on the subject. From what I gather the DSM2 modulation is actually suspect to high 2.4g noise areas. It only uses two frequencies and if those two frequencies are simultaniously interrupted by 2.4g noise, the RX will reboot to find 2 different frequencies. Other modulations like fasst and fhss will constantly pick new frequincies, so if one is compromised it's already jumped to another frequency before the pilot even knows there was a problem. Spektrum has corrected this problem with DSMX which still uses spread spektrum modulation but ads frequency hoping as well. Just for the record, this info is just what I found while surfing web and is not me claiming I actually figured this out or even know what I'm talking about. Just passing on what I found.

It seems to me now that Horizons quick fix for all the DSM2 woes is the new quick connect programing in their new receivers. When old rx's rebooted due to an rf link break or low voltage brownout, it took 3-5 seconds to find 2 new frequencies and regain control of the servos. The new rx's are supposed to reboot in 4/100 second. My guess is that's why they're so generous with handing out new receivers.

My conclusion is they are just trying to buy enough time with bogus "bad reciever, here's a new one free" line until DSM2 radios are gone by means of attrition. They do offer a DSMX upgrade for your old DSM2 radio, but they charge you $75. Personally I feel they should do the upgrade for free as a recall, seeing how many many people (myself included) have lost very expensive planes by trusting them to DSM2. I bet when a brownout/lockout plane finally kills a person (by crashing onto their head), Horizon will offer upgrade for free!!! Just saying
My 5 year old mobile phone had lots of dropouts and disconnected calls, My brand new Iphone is perfect, never drops a call..

My point is, yes perhaps the first generation of DSM2 receivers were more sensitive to brownouts and slower to reconnect from a dropout, but they identified the problems and corrected them in later versions which are now as good as any other brand..

Same thing happens with all electronic products, IOS updates? Windows updates? new versions of the Ipads, Iphones, Samsung Galaxy Tabs?

Here is an excellent review of DSMX - A $75 upgrade is cheap insurance in my opinion..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQKoXpj-FeI If you bought a car 5 years ago, they are not going to upgrade the engine management computer to the latest version for free either.

When you bought your radio as DSM2 it was the technology of the day, now they have released DSMX which is an improvement in technology

If you bought an Ipad One 3 years ago you can't take it back and ask for a free updgrade to a retina display and lightning connecter can you?

Regardless of what you buy today there will be updated and improved versions in the near future.

Last edited by Rob2160; 08-28-2013 at 07:20 PM.