RCU Forums - View Single Post - "Extreme speed" project ready to fly.. (kidding, not really XS)
Old 08-30-2013, 02:27 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is indeed a straight 4, and the first inverted engine In service I think. Nominal hp is listed as 145 I think, though there is some debate as to whether any Gipsy actually could back that up on a dyno.. most people quote 135-137. The performance is sprightly but it isn't overpowered by any means. We don't have a working VSI at the moment but figure it was achieving 400 FPM or so?

Wikipedia has a respectable description. A nice site to check out is mothclub.uk.. Enthusiast's site and a parts and literature source.

5.25:1 compression ratio IIRC. We fitted new valve guides and sodium filled valves as used on the Chipmunk. That engine is in fine shape.. that said anything can happen anytime of course. We are meticulous about scheduled maintenance on the engine, and as a team know them inside out. We believe it is as trustworthy as possible. Mind you we always have an emergency landing site looked out as we fly as well. Most old pilots are careful pilots.

Last edited by MJD; 08-30-2013 at 02:32 PM.