RCU Forums - View Single Post - Do I need my CG back further
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2013, 07:02 AM
learn2turn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Do I need my CG back further

Starting to work a bit on those trim tutorials. I'm still at the point where things happen so fast and things like trim settings and stick movement interact so that I'm not sure if I have the CG correct.

For years I've always trimmed my planes so I need just a tad of up-elevator to maintain level flight. That allowed me to feel the plane as I flew straight-and-level and also allowed for a small amount of down elevator when flying inverted. What I'd do is set it up so the same amount of up elevator is needed in level flight as down elevator in inverted level flight.

I've read in some trim instructions that when trimmed properly, you shouldn't need down elevator to achieve level flight when inverted. That leads me to believe I should continue to move my CG back, then trim so little if any up elevator is needed for level flight, then be able to roll inverted and still need little or no down elevator to maintain level flight.

Now, maybe level flight is going to far and I should achieve that performance just in the 45* up line test. That is, not need much if any down elevator after rolling inverted. I need to hold some up elevator to maintain 45* up and then when I roll inverted, my nose does drop very quickly. I think I'm release the slight up elevator on time but things happen real quick in a 41" plane. So either I'm not releasing up quickly enough, the trim is too biased toward non-inverted flight, or the CG needs to move back further. Or some combination of the above.

-l2t