RCU Forums - View Single Post - What Next After the Hobbyzone Champ?? Getting Into Flying....
Old 09-07-2013, 07:29 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am very anti-Spektrum when it comes to cars. Despite having heard about range and quality issues for years, I bought a DX3S on sale a couple years ago. Had range issues on the first tank. Returned it immediately and bought a Sanwa.

With planes though I really do intend to stick with the simple end of the spectrum (no pun intended) - foamie war birds, etc., so BNF is a very attractive option. Is BNF only for Spektrum? If so, I would be inclined to get a Spektrum. I also don't want to spend a lot on the radio. If 2-3 years down the road I decide to build a 5th scale B-29 with bombs, moving tail gunner and talking pilots or whatever, I'll buy an 18-channel Futaba to go with it...

Right now I've kind of settled on the Apprentice, but all of a sudden I'm in for like €400 - a fair bit more (and bigger) than I was intending... I do like the idea of the RTF version, despite the radio though, becaues of its simplicity and initial lower cost. I know I know - spending more up front is better for better stuff. But when I'm already over budget with the RTF version, I've got to cut some corners...

Some local guys were telling me the T-28 would be a bad call for a first plane - too difficult.. Need to learn on a trainer, etc..

And yet again - the size issue concerns me. I was just over at the local park with the Champ. Quite a few amused/interested onlookers, kids walking by and under... Just couldn't fly the Apprentice there I think..

Last edited by HerrSavage; 09-07-2013 at 07:43 AM.