RCU Forums - View Single Post - School Project - Help
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2013, 08:49 AM
Lone Star Charles

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Outstanding! I just read the rules - what a great contest. Sounds like a lot of fun as well as a trip to the aviation mecca of Wichita.

The rules seem pretty challenging, yet simple and straightforward. As you develop your concept aircraft, you will probably find this site most beneficial if you describe your design and ask for input regarding pros and cons for whatever element you are working on - whether it is powerplant(s), fuselage, wing layout and design, etc. The first design that comes to my mind is kinda like a Short Skyvan, not the prettiest nor most efficient, but will probably fly with anything you can close the door on. It also would stand a good chance of clearing the 2X4 on the taxi tests.

Check out some of the Electric forums here for advice on power systems. Multi-engine may be a good way to go here since it sounds as if the fuse(s) requirement is on a 'per powerplant' basis (I could be wrong here).

In any event, it's sure to generate some interest here. There is a wealth of experience on this site. Don't be discouraged if you get some "that'll never fly" comments. Hyperbole seems to run rampant in these forums sometimes.

Best of luck. Oh, and by the way, what school do you represent?