RCU Forums - View Single Post - Edge 540 27.4% Build
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2013, 12:34 PM
VincentJ

Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Edge 540 27.4% Build

Well it's time for another build, and this time I am looking to challenge myself to build a very different type of plane for me...a 27.4% Edge 540 by D&L Designs. It's different for me as my other builds have all been Sig kits: 1/5 scale Ryan STA and my most recent build a 1/4 scale Spacewalker. As I said, these were all kits and this project will be conceived from plans. I decided to have all the ribs, formers, etc. laser cut and I am still waiting for them to be delivered. I did start to receive some of the wood in the mail today that I need to get this project started. If you note the name on the box, it makes me smile to know that even this plane has a Sig connection. One may take for granted all of the materials and supplies that are supplied for you in a kit, all these items now have to be located and purchased separately in order to get started. But that's all the more fun right?

I have chosen to power this project with a DA50R engine which should be more than adequate for the job...I also plan on using carbon fiber to strengthen areas that will be stressed. Cowl and wheel pants have been purchased from Fiberglass Specialties that I should expect delivery any day now. Since I am still waiting for some key pieces to this puzzle the glue bottle won't be cracked open until everything shows up.

I can tell you that for the past several weeks I have been pouring over the plans making notes to myself the changes I want to make and how this will all go together. My dining room table has been perfect for the job, as I live alone and there's nobody here that says that I can't! The building of course will take place in my humble workshop...I am blessed that I have some very close friends here that live and breath 3-D planes and I will seek their advice (and yours) when needed. So I hope that this project generates some interest and I hope you come along for the ride I think it will be fun...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2465.JPG
Views:	569
Size:	2.89 MB
ID:	1924276   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2467.JPG
Views:	616
Size:	3.35 MB
ID:	1924277   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2468.JPG
Views:	498
Size:	3.15 MB
ID:	1924278   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2469.JPG
Views:	410
Size:	3.03 MB
ID:	1924279  

Last edited by VincentJ; 09-23-2013 at 02:30 PM.