RCU Forums - View Single Post - School Project - Help
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2013, 08:29 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I don't have blueprints, but just look at Cubs and Beavers to see the fuselage shapes. A few RC designs that are known for being very easy to fly include the Great Planes Ugly Stick, Sig 4 Star, and Hangar 9 Pulse. The wing designs are tail surface to wing ratios make those planes forgiving and good in the wind and still very maneuverable. They aren't the best weight carrying or STOL designs on the market, but if you can understand what makes those planes pilot friendly there will probably be some lessons you can apply to your student design.

On the takeoff, what I meant was the nearly 40 degree climb out angle. I understand you are required to break ground by a certain distance, but unless there is a 20 foot fence that you have to clear shortly thereafter there is no need to climb out so steeply. A smooth and shallow climb out lets the plane gain back the airspeed it lost when you rotated to get off the ground so that you don't run the risk of stalling the plane. So on that flight, a better takeoff would have been to break ground where he did, and then hold the plane a couple of feet off the ground for a second or two before climbing so that the plane has a chance to accelerate.