RCU Forums - View Single Post - Sponsor Photos
Thread: Sponsor Photos
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2013, 03:55 PM
rcphotog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JH,
I think I can offer some advice. Sponsors like lots of pics of the pilots,planes,crowd shots and of course the sponsor's banners and vendor's displays. So basically a little of everything
Without knowing your experience, I'll suggest getting up close & personal candid shots whenever possible (use fill-flash for closeups of faces) and watch your backround for sponsor banners or unwanted clutter etc. If the pilot is wearing sponsor logos, try to make sure it's visable in the shot. Think as though you are a proud sponsor.

Try to get pics of (at least one) every plane & pilot entered in the event. I also try to get a few pics of the pilots while they're flying. You'll need access to the flightline and should stand off at a safe & undistracting distance from the pilots.I typically use a zoom of around 100-300mm for these shots. The pilots never know I'm there shooting them.
Since, I suspect, that there will be alot of hovering models at a "3D" event, you should be able to get decent action shots with that 55-200mm. (I would if possible, rent a 1.5teleconverter for those tight cropped pics ) A 200mm is a little short to get good closeups of the models in flight. However, a good dynamic photo doesn't have to be a closeup of the model. If you can get both the pilot & plane in the shot, that would be great too.
If you have access to the flightline, you'll get good shots of take-offs & landings and close-in flybys. During two day events, I spent one day at the departure end & the following day at the opposite end so I can get both good landing & take-off shots. Watch the wind direction for determining this.It often changes in the afternoon.
I can't stress this enough, get lots of people pics. This is the hardest thing for me to remember because I'm attracted the models more

The sponsors want to "see" a successfull event. Lots of eyeballs on their ads. So what means success to you? Lots of contestants and lots of spectators. So show that in your coverage as well as neat pics of the models.
Try to get a list of sponsors from the contest coordinator or event CD and keep those names in mind all day. IT'S NOT EASY! to get coverage of everything. I would also suggest having an assistant maybe shooting with a good quality "point-'n-shoot" of the behind-the-scenes so you can focus on the main action. I have found over thirty years of airshow photography that I'm not great at people coverage. Pilots like to see pics of themselves and family members/support team.

The numbers:
I recommend using all the aids possible, Vibration reduction, auto focus, auto exposure and shutter speeds between 800-1260 for action shots
If you want good prop blur you'll need NOT to use anything higher than about 1000/sec. You'll also need to have a pretty good and stable panning technique to achive good consistant results. If you get nervous ( I do all the time ) use a higher shutter speed - 1260 to 2000 If light is bright- on those fast action shots.
Once you relax & get the hang of it, you'll be able to slow the shutter down to 160/sec and get really cool action shots with blurred props and backrounds. It takes alot of practice to get consistance results at that slow shutter. Since 3D flyers tend to fly erractic, it might be better to use the higher speeds to freeze the action.

Get a high speed memory card too. There's nothing more frustrating than having to waite for the camera to write to the card. See camera manual for the fastest card it will support.
Don't forget to eat and drink water. I sometimes get too involved and forget. Stay hydrated.

I hope this helps & doesn't scare you too much. It's alot to take in. If it's possible, try to practice at your local field on a ordinary day.
Ken
ps; I've been using Nikon 35mm and Pentax (645) for over thirty years and I still get nervous when covering events.