RCU Forums - View Single Post - Time for some Extreme Speed Electrics
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2013, 11:13 AM
Forced_Induction

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time for some Extreme Speed Electrics

Hello all,

I have looked quite a bit online to see if anyone else has been trying what ive done, but I havent found anything yet. Over the last couple years I have shifted my planes and helis to electric, and have been loving it ever since. A few years ago i got a hold of a shrike 10 kit. so i decided to build it electric. I started using a hobbyking 3548-1100 motor. 1100 KV on 5s gave me a high rpm with a small prop. after puffing a couple packs, breaking the nose off, damaging a leading edge, and having a ton of fun going ridiculously fast with it, i scavenged the esc for another project and it sat on a shelf for a couple years. the other day i was going through some crap in the basement and i found a carcass of a 500 heli that i smashed up. I used a hobbyking typhoon 500 motor in it and a light bulb went on.

the typhoon 500 is 1800 KV and can handle way more power than the 3548 i was using. the 3548 was capable of around 700w. i was pushing it to 1100w and being in the open air, i never had any issues with burning the motor up. so i swapped out the 3548 and put in the 500 heli motor. testing with a few props showed that a 7x6 pulls right around 85a static. Im using a YEP-80 ESC with it which is good for 100a 10s bursts.

I maidened it today and everything went well except i couldnt run full power. every time it wound out, it would start pulsing. I suspect that it was the timing setting but i didnt have the programmer to try changing it at the field. I played with it a bit when i got home and it seems like its liking higher timing than the 12 deg i was running before.

I like this setup alot. my old setup with a 8x10 prop was a bit of a head turner at 210kph (doppler), and this setup should go even faster. Im planning a new plane MAYBE this winter that will use a bigger motor. id like to use a 40 sized delta airframe (diamond dust, screamin demon, or another, im open to delta suggestions) and run a scorpion heli motor on 12s. the pitch speed looks pretty freakin insane =).

please feel free to leave any suggestions or stories of electrics, or anything else really. I havent seen setups like this discussed very much so id like to start it up.