RCU Forums - View Single Post - Help selecting a charger
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2013, 01:34 PM
AmericanSpectre505

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1C is the way to go. I have spent some time experimenting with different C charge rates. Every battery I tested responded differently TRue RC/Rhino/Zippy/F3A Unlimited 35C 5100. Having created a matric chart I tracked the results over the course of 5 charge/discharge cycles; 5 at 1 C and 5 at 2C and 5 to re-normalize the packs. The 2C charge rate increased the Ohm's per cell on every charge/discharge cycle. The 1C charge rate to re normalize the packs did just that, it brought the Ohms per cell back into range from when I started initially at 1C. Some did better than others. However, I did use a mix of new and older packs (7 packs to be exact) 4- Zippy 25C, 1- TRueRC 20C, 1-Rhino 25C 4900 and 1-35C 5100 from F3AU. I did that by design to simulate longevity (short life cycle test) durability,Efficiencies , among just a few to name.

I also found you can fast field charge at 2-3C if the battery is rated for it and then slow charge it back at 1C and you can see the Ohms drop down after a few flights. I found no advantage of charging at 2C/3C other than to save maybe 20 minutes in charge time. Yes, charging at higher C rates will reduce the life of the battery. Older batteries, well...less resilient, slow to bounce back if at all.

This is just a test I conducted for myself, but figured I'd share since someone asked.

Bill

Originally Posted by lopflyers
I have heard so many different opinions about charging faster than 1C!! Some said that if the batt is rated for more than 1C charging is not going to be affected, some others said it would shorten the battery life.
Who do you believe? Do I need to ask an electric engineer?