RCU Forums - View Single Post - Tips for glassing warbird.
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2013, 11:18 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chip_MG
Has anyone tried minwax and 3/4 glass compaired to epoxy resin to see the difference or if there is one.. ??
Yes....with the Min wax (polyurethane finish) method as the basis, laminating epoxy glassing technique adds approximately 50%-100% when used without thinning. Same is true for the older polyester resin or vinyl ester used as the resin of choice

Epoxy paint (Klass Kote) is slightly lighter, 15%-20% than Min Wax and glass (same glass which for me was 1/2 ounce variety)

In terms of toughness, laminating epoxy or polyester are tougher than Min Wax; epoxy paint is next. But the term "tough" is used loosely and subjectively here because none of these thin covering jobs are tough enough to resist even light hanger rash

The lightest by considerable margin is also the least tough because it is the thinnest.....dope and Jap tissue or dope and light silkspan.....

Bottom line (sort of obvious), the material you use matters less and less as you thin down the covering job.....

So from thinnest to thickest, Light Silkspan and dope is about 1 mil thick; Esaki Jap Tissue and dope is about 1-1.1 mil thick (this is stronger and stiffer arrangment tho than light silkspan and is my choice for finishing large areas). Medium silkspan and dope, is around 1.7-2 mils thick

Epoxy paint and light glass is about 2.5-3 mils thick; Min wax and glass is about 2.5 to 3.25 mils thick. I've also used epoxy paint and carbon veil and this method definitely adds lots of stiffness for a moderate thickness (and weight) of around 3 mils

Laminating epoxy and light glass 4 mils to 6 mils thick

For comparison, Wrinkle kotes (monokote and ultra kote and the so many other flavors) 2.75 mils to 3.75 mils, depending on color. Light versions range from around 1.5 mils to 2.5 mils again depending on color. I have a small quantity of 1/2 mil stock but needs adhesive and is pretty flimsy

Textiles run from 4 mils to 6 mils.

Polyspan spun polyester covering and dope are about 3-3.5 mils. Polyspan light (polyester tisue) is about half the thickness of regular. Depending on the structure, these are my choices for open framework, and sometimes I laminate these with carbon veil for extra stiffness. Come to think of it, I've used carbon veil under various coverings to add stiffness to flimsy open framework.

Just a few of the things I picked up along the way over my 45 years in the hobby. As always, YMMV.....

Last edited by MTK; 10-14-2013 at 11:23 AM.