RCU Forums - View Single Post - My HL Leopard 2A6 build and thoughts.
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2013, 03:58 PM
Jannicke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No problem at all Hl524.

Thanks for adding the link tooCapitanAmerica69, thats exactly how I was going to finish up the recoil system.

Work continues on my leopard. Those battery boxed always just seem to be frustratingly tight when fitting batteries and I find them inconvenient to use. I prefer to just remove them entirely, along with replacing the screws used to attach the upper hull with small rare earth magnets. This creates much more space inside the hull, and eliminated all the messing around under the tank with a screwdriver, making it a much simpler process whenever you want to change the battery.

With the battery box gone I glued the battery box cover in place, I used a soft modelling clay to temporarily seal the openings in the hull left by the suspension components and switches. Next I poured a little resin into the bottom of the hull, being careful to fill it only as far as the top of the mounting points for the gearboxes. I like doing this as it lends a huge amount of stiffness to the hull as well as providing a perfectly flat base in the hull that you can then use to mount whatever else you want in there.

One thing to watch out for when doing this to a larger hull like the leopards is that as the resin cures it generates a bit of heat, and can contract a little, causing the hull to warp and making it unable to marry up to the upper hull properly afterwards. To avoid this I cut some blocks of wood to the width of the hull and squeezed them inside before I poured the resin in. Once everything was set I took the wood braces back out.

The lower hull is now rock solid and I have a nice clean surface I can use to drill mounting holes into whenever / wherever I need.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	leo_04_01.jpg
Views:	2614
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	1935095