RCU Forums - View Single Post - Reaction 54 Jet Kit
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2013, 05:15 PM
bobparks2
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sure Bruce has his stories too on this, but about 20 years ago, I did a kit design for a company, and all of the "difficult" tech support calls got forwarded to me. It was amazing how much people can screw something up! The kit had a foam wing and needed to have balsa skins applied. The instructions told how to do it with epoxy and vacuum bag or a bunch of weights. The instructions were very similar to what Bruce does.. lots of details, photos etc. They SPECIFICALLY said not to use CA glue near the foam (this was before foam safe CA existed). So, I get one call from a hobby shop owner. His customer used CA to try to glue the skins on. Melted the cores down to nothing. I sent the guy new wing cores at no charge. So..he used epoxy the next time, but glued the skins to the foam cradles, not the cores. I told him to just try again and glue the skins to the cores next time… so he glued them to the cores AND the cradles. I finally just bought the kit back from him (at full list) just so he wouldn't be out there trying to fly it and giving the plane a bad reputation.

NOTHING is idiot proof… ever.

OTOH, and I am SURE Bruce can attest to this.. For every total idiot, there were a half dozen calls from people saying how much they liked the plane.

So Bruce, I know I said it before… The R54 is AWESOME! The kit, the instructions, the flying, everything! THANK YOU!

Bob