RCU Forums - View Single Post - Why do they hate DLG?
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2013, 04:51 PM
Nodd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do they hate DLG?

Why do they hate DLG?
Seems every time I bring my DLG to an RC event or while visiting a flying site I get yelled at. Its gotten to the point where now I just leave it home.

Okay some examples...

NEAT Fair
Okay this is a BIG event & they have lots of rules. I realize standing out in the middle of the runway to fly my DLG isn't an option. I respect that. So early one morning before the main flying starts up, I decide to give the DLG a few tosses off to the side of the runway, out of the way of everyone. Sure enough, not five minutes later I see Mr Blue Jacket making his way over to me. "You can't fly that here".

Aerotow Event
Okay so my DLG isn't a five meter scale sailplane but it IS a glider. I spend the day aerotowing with my giant scale sailplane, having a grand old time. Then as the event is winding down, most of the flying is done I figure I'll give the DLG a few tosses. I head way off down the other end of the flying area, well out of everyone's way. I mean this is a sailplane event, they're cool with this right? Well nope... "Sir you're going to have to fly that somewhere else".

Club Visit
A buddy invites me to come visit his flying field. I pack a few planes & hesitate about grabbing the DLG. But he's never seen a DLG fly so I figured, okay I'll bring it. I spend the day hanging out at the field, chat with the locals, do a little flying & then as everyone is packing up & things are getting quiet I figure now might be a good time to demo the DLG. I walk up to the one guy who's still flying & let him know I'll be down at the end of the field flying my DLG for a few minutes. He's cool with that "Okay roger that". I fling the DLG around for 5 minutes, I can hear the guys in the pit area talking about it. Apparently they'd not seen one fly either, "whoa look at the height that thing gets", "look at the duration he's getting & with no motor". All sounded positive enough. So not five minutes later after I'm done, this member who's apparently just about to head home feels he needs to lecture me, "next time you fly you need to be at one of the flight stations. You can't stand wherever you please". I was about to point out that DLGs aren't like other RC planes & can't be flown from behind a flight station. I mean how do you launch with that safety netting thing right in front of you? And don't get me started about how I really don't think it'd be a good idea to land her in that area with other pilots standing right next to me. But I was a guest there & it was not my place to argue, didn't want to rock the boat & get my buddy in trouble. So sounding like a complete idiot I heard myself mutter "Oh okay, no problem".

So alright I get it. A DLG is different. It doesn't taxi, it doesn't fly the pattern & it won't do a go-around if the runway is busy. Its slow circling flight gets in the way of other planes as does the pilot who needs some space to launch & recover. But does that mean this class of plane can't play nice at events or club fields? Seems to me I get my head bitten off everywhere I take it. Its gotten to the point where I just fly it locally with my other DLG buddies but if I'm attending an event or whatever, I leave it home. Why do they hate DLG?