RCU Forums - View Single Post - M-46 Patton
Thread: M-46 Patton
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2013, 04:58 PM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default M-46 Patton

Anyone interested in the M-46 Patton, here's a historic writeup I did a while back with photos of my unit in Korea, thankfully my only combat tank..

The M-46 may be a bit unknown to many in the RC tank hobby and it's a real shame that the 26-46 conversion kit was never produced. I have had many requests and inquiries about a conversion, but there are none. I wanted to do another couple 46s and try to do an M-47, but the back deck was a near impossible scratch build. Only way is to use some new, modern and expensive technology and use one of the 1;35 scale M-47s for a pattern to upscale and make parts. Outside of my time as an M-41 driver, the 46 is my all time favorite. Like the Pershing, the only thing with power was the turret traverse..everything else was manual. This meant a good crew was the key to survival and good combat performance with no electronics or computers to lean on. . The M-47, although having a bit more spunk was handicapped with a completely asinine 90mm ammo stowage under a turret basket and a totally worthless stereoscopic range finder. The M-48 was simply a fat. wallowing pig with no speed or maneuverability which carried over on the early M-60. The TC's M-1 cupola remained a curse with the cal 50 laying on its side and always jamming. It was compensated in Vietnam by mounting an external 50 on the cupola top instead of in the cupola itself. The loss of power of the M-48s came from adding 5 inches to the track width and 4 tons weight with no change to engine or transmission. The M-60's (and M-48A5) diesel was an improvement but still not a great tank. In this respect, the old M-46 was a very fine tank that was able to handle itself well and climb the Korean hills with ease and offered good protection for the crew. I am proud to have served in the venerable old first tank named after George Patton and although it's an "old fashioned" and upgraded Pershing, I look back at it with fond memories.

http://www.fighting118th.com/2010/05...eneral-patton/
Bill

Last edited by pattoncommander; 11-18-2013 at 03:24 PM. Reason: added info for those unfamilar with the tank