RCU Forums - View Single Post - Where can I buy Prop stainless steel?
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2013, 03:06 AM
siberianhusky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Prather has a line of stainless props. S215 up to S275 -1.6 up to 2.85" diameter.
I think the Proboat prop is a Prather 215, or so close I can't tell the difference running between the two, didn't know this when I got the Proboat, already had a 215 in the box.
The only time I've damaged a BrCu prop is when I've hit something, they are not bronze they are a beryllium copper alloy. A steel prop won't make much difference if you hit something in the water.
The biggest difference is I find the steel prop harder to get sharpened, thinned and balanced, at least they won't poison you or the family working on them. Beryllium dust is very toxic need skin protection and a respirator to safely work on them. I always work them over a tub of water and keep everything wet to control any dust. I also only use hand tools, files and sand paper, too much dust flying if you use any kind of grinder on BrCu props. A lot of people think differently but read up on the dangers of beryllium. To be honest I'm kind of surprised they are still able to use it in manufacturing, many more benign materials have already been banned.