View Single Post
Old 12-04-2013, 11:51 AM
bluelevel
My Feedback: (39)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by gooseF22
I have a couple of technical q's

I know the receivers are interchangeable for redundancy/diversity

1. If you have a CentralBox 200, What, if any, is the technical advantage of using the R3 Sats for primary SAT over the R5L or for that matter any other Rx? the R5L is the same price as the R3... Is there better frame rate consistency? Is there more ExtTelemetry functions?.. Are either able to use external channel while set up for PPM output? I realize the R3 can be used as a switch, but Im more interested in any technical advantage of one Sat setup over the other

2. If you are using a R14 or R18 plus a satellite, is there any advantage to using an R3 over a R5L for Sat redundancy?

thanks..goose
Goose,

if using two receivers in combination with the Central box, there will be no difference, because the Central Box communicates with the RX's through the digital EX Bus protocol. If it were the old analog PPM signal, only then it might matter. Your telemetry equipment will be connected to the Central box anyway, so there is no more or less telemetry ports.

Regarding your second question I also think that there is no difference between the R3 or and R5L regarding its reception capabilities. The technical specs are identical. On the paper even the specs of the R14 / R18 are the same as the smaller receivers, but unter difficult conditions you should see a little advantage with the bigger receivers because their antennas are shielded. But I think it would be overkill to use two R14's or two R18's.

Thomas

Last edited by bluelevel; 12-04-2013 at 12:02 PM.