RCU Forums - View Single Post - No wheel offset spec? WTF?
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2013, 01:30 PM
egbasher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK. A better response than the last guy. But I disagree with the statement that very few share the same wheels. Maybe the manufactures didn't intend us to share wheels from one make to another but out in the real world we do. I run an RPM wheel on my Evader intended for an Associated vehicle. Can't remember which one. It's offset is about 1/4 inch greater than stock so I have a wider track (got lucky on that one) but it's slot for the pin is shorter than the duratrax pin so I make my own. So yeah, you'd have to add a couple more specs. Here's my list:

wheel diameter
wheel width
axle (hole) diameter
offset
drive type: if it's hex, state the size; if it's pin drive state the pin diameter and length

Can you think of anything else, except maybe if the wheel is acetone safe? If every wheel had these specs then you could be sure it'll fit before you buy. That'd be nice.

Originally Posted by EXT2Rob
Here is a very nice response I got from AKA:

Rob,

I agree with you that it could be helpful to know the offset of the wheels for the few that are looking for wheels for a non-specified application. The problem that you run into with r/c cars is that there are VERY few cars that actually share the same wheels. There are many, many more factors that you would have to take into consideration for sizing, such as hex size, axle diameter, axle length, offset, diameter, width, etc. Just because the offset may be the same as another car, doesn't mean that you will be able to use the wheel, because there will likely be something else that is different. That is why we clearly mark what vehicles our wheels fit on. It is unlikely they will fit anything else anyway. Unfortunately, manufacturers keep producing cars with proprietary wheels and cant agree on one hex size or offset. To make this easier on all of us would be to standardize a wheel for a certain type of vehicle. Maybe years down the road we will see this get better, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it. Thank you for dropping us a line!

Brent Fiege