RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1/10 Short course truck xmas gift for nephew opinions
Old 12-06-2013, 09:55 AM
73Maverick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1/10 Short course truck xmas gift for nephew opinions

Howdy all. Here's a little background and reason for posting. My nephew is 11 and is interested in getting into learning how to race at his local hobby shop. Prior to him getting this for xmas he's had an RC18t clone and a reef racer 2 boat. I also have those and also bought a 1/10 DESC210 so he has someone else to practice with at the hobby shop. So this will really be his first pretty nice RC truck.

He's been doing his own research online and asked the guy at the hobby shop what he recommended. He recommended to him a 2wd brushed Slash with NiMh and charger that was around $250 as a starter so he's been searching reviews for traxxas and talking a lot about it.

His grandparents are buying him the truck and asked me to buy extra batteries so that's when I got involved. They don't know much about it so I wanted to help with their quest, but I didn't want them to buy brushed or NiMh at that price since I thought it's not worth paying for the included charger or battery and I thought I could find a brushless setup for about the same price so he wouldn't have to sink his own money in to upgrade the slash to brushless later but he'd still have something nice to start out that he could hop up if he wanted to get serious. Since he's been talking traxxas I wanted to start a thread so that if he was disappointed at first that he didn't get the one the hobby shop recommended that hopefully you guys would agree with my decision and he could come here and read what you guys had to say

Here were the requirements when I set out to find which truck I thought they should get him.
1) Around the same price as the 2wd brushed slash package
2) RTR electric Short course truck for racing at the hobby shop
3) Parts available at the hobby shop

I talked them into buying him the 2wd Lucas Oil Slick Mist brushless SC10 instead of the 2wd brushed Slash.
Did I make the right call?