RCU Forums - View Single Post - building info
Thread: building info
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2013, 05:18 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Hossfly
In that case, MR. Nick, check out the recommendations I left you in that other forum, Beginner I believe. There you can find REAL kits and not just a lot of RC ARF GARBAGE. Yes, I do some RC-ARFS but after 70 years of building, designing my own, converting Easy-Builtrubber power stick kits for Scale Pylon Racing, well I do not really need much help.
Here you find very few that have experienced such, if anything, beyond RC ARFs. Don't get me wrong, these fellows are EXCELLENT in what they do. You want to learn stick building, you say. It AIN'T in an ARF! Try that list I left for you. I see far too many SCALE and Aerobatic ARFS come apart in the air to be satisfied with their construction.
Never forget a magazine article raving about the new 2-engine ARF on the market. However they did have the decency to state - at the end - that on the 3rd flight both engine firewalls departed the machine. Yep real structure! If you want some plans, I have many that I will never use. I do not now have my computer redone from AOL to current programming. Send me a private message and I will send you some ideas.
A bit insulting, in my opinion.

I know for a fact that there is at least one excellent builder in this thread, trying to help the OP out. (Le Roy) There are many excellent builders on this site. Most are willing to help others.

While some ARF assemblers confuse what they do, with building, the kit section is still a good place to get advice on building kits.

You may have offered some good advice in another forum, but why is the OP limited to just what you have to say ?

In my opinion, it is best for the OP to seek information from multiple sources, and form an idea of what is best for him.

I agree with LeRoy, that Nick R should start by building kits. They help develop a working knowledge of construction techniques, materials and material sizes.

I also suggest that Nick R should learn how to fly. Not only is it an enjoyable passtime, but it will give him an idea on where to place components should be placed inside airframes.

Bikerbc's suggestion of the Sig LT-40 is a great place to start. It's a great kit, with excellent instructions and plans. I agree with him, that it is difficult to build for others, especially if the builder doesn't fly. To sell to others, a deeper understanding of the complexities involved is required.

Nick R, I hope that you get deeply involved in our hobby. I wish you every success.

Although we may disagree amongst ourselves, our intentions are to provide you with the best, most accurate information possible.

I admire your ambition to build a Stinson SR series. They are beautiful aircraft. Pleae take the time to develop the skills to build this complicated airframe. You will find the road to do so, a satisfying and rewarding experience.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40868.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	1947629