RCU Forums - View Single Post - Jeti-duplex-ds-16-2.4-ghz
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2013, 07:56 AM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Downwind3Zero
Hi Jim,
Thanks for taking the time to respond! Great learning here!
You asked what was appealing to me with the Clone mode: "both receivers are each connected to both Tx modules (quad redundancy?)" (#208). As far as I can tell, the clone mode is as close as you can get to having an additional antenna without feedback on signal strength with both RFs working both Rxs vs. Normal mode where there is an additional antenna and each RF working one Rx.
I have a larger Jet setup with Dual path, dual receivers, independant and use Powerbox Royal RRS for dual Rx power, so I understand the differences in respect to that.
Regards, Chris
Chris,
Yes, that brought us back to the basic question we were wrestling with..the pros and cons of:

Is it better to have Both transmitters timesharing on each receiver, or is it better to have one talking to one and the other to the other.

We weighed the pros and cons of that..
Jim and I came to the conclusion, that we would use the Dual path setup because we WANT the receiver feedback signaling if we have a valid link, and to be able to LOG the receiver performance as installed..

Remember this..... IF you have datalink, You Have control.. the datalink is a weaker signal and it uses the same antennas, so if the orientation/diversity is adequate to receiver a 10mW telemetry signal, you have some 40% or so margin on your control.. IF you lose datalink, you still will have control very likely, but it will give you the feedback you need to tune your setup and move your antennas around..

I cannot underscore this enough.. You get feedback before you lose control.. No other system does that.. ITs because the return path is on the same polarity orientation path as the tX path.. So based on these Pros, and the fact that the secondary receiver can drive the entire servo package, we decided that Dual path is the way to go if you have 2 receivers.. Thusly, it makes all the setups the same functionality, whether its a central box or a RX/Sat system.. the only difference is how you set up the comm on the CB200.. which we will discuss later..

With the R14/18, you can do both actually by adding a third RX as a clone if you like.

One other point.. I have confirmed that the receivers will operate down to 3 volts, but it only takes a couple frame to reset it..Thats actually very good performance. However it does re acquire very quickly.. So.... make sure your alarms are set up 4.5 volts and above to give you margin.. I would not use anything less than 5.1 volts on any UBEC or power regs...

Last edited by gooseF22; 12-28-2013 at 08:09 AM.