RCU Forums - View Single Post - Need advise on buying a new car for my son
Old 01-03-2014, 09:18 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

couldn't say never heard of the Duratrax 835B

Nitro vs electric...
To me neither is better then the other both have pro's and cons
Nitro's non controversial pro (as I see them)
Run time they will run pretty much as long as you have fuel (which for a gallon depending on vehicle could be over 20 hours non stop )

Nitro's noncontroversial cons
Price of fuel
The engine can get DAMN hot potentially being a safety issue

Why I say noncontroversial is the rest are dependent on person if you like fiddling with engines trying to get max performance then its a pro, but to some they hate it which makes it a con. Some like the sound some hate it. Some think it has a steep learning curve some easy

Electrics noncontroversial pro
Easier to get up and running(as long as its RTR if its a kit then it can be a bigger PITA IMO then breaking in a nitro engine and getting the 1st tune)

noncontroversial con
Run time reliant on batteries brought

Again people will argue all around some say electrics are quiet, some are loud, some will say more instant power is a pro some a con (I'm ore in the con range in this regard as BL can royally wreck the drivetrain). Some say low learning curve, some high (IMO its kinda high as you gotta learn battery care, battery difference, etc)

Honestly in the end it all comes down to preference. In the past threads that mentioned those 2 things would balloon to 20-40 pages of bickering literally coming down to name calling (hell I remember seeing some yo mamma things even)

I will admit I own more electric's then nitro's, but then again that kinda boils down to a few things. One is Nitro I will admit is not a good idea in all applications like my scaler/rock crawler a nitro would not work, also in the under 1/10th scale group

Now prior to pumping a pile of cash into nitro I'd try out that RC10GT and see if you like nitro 1st. As for a radio I'd just get a cheap 2.4ghz radio for it that are around $20ish like http://www.valuehobby.com/radio-syst...lysky-gt2.html (This is sold cheaper by other places, but they are usually out of stock) I own one, and find it does the job nicely (I also own 3 other of the more expensive radios by the same brand). But if you want to buy the more expensive radios I won't argue its your money. I own a Spectrum, and whatever brand HPI uses too.

If it turns out ya like nitro for $439 the Nexx 8t http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBWUW&P=ML exists it is the 3rd iteration of the Jammin X1 CRT (I own the original X1), and if its 1/10th as tough as the X1it would take a beating. Seriously my X1 crashed 40+mph into concrete(on its 1st run...) in the most blood curdling sound, and had a whole $5 in damage lol. We had one member inthe past get one, and only thing I can recall he said about it was that he was very happy with it.

Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 01-03-2014 at 09:29 AM.