RCU Forums - View Single Post - The Parkzone Radian Coalition ~TPRC~
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2014, 10:09 AM
SushiHunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DieHarder
How did the Radian flight go? (Sorry, I'm a week or two late.)
Went very well as usual. I fly it from the top of a small mountain so I'm standing roughly a few hundred feet from where the mountain starts to angle downward and I'm facing into the wind. I fly the Radian a few hundred feet above where the mountain starts to angle downward. It's at this area where there is a steady upward wind current which is coming off the Pacific. I can keep the Radian up for quite a while on just the wind current alone. Usually when I get tired I will turn the Radian out of the wind current and circle around a few times for something different to do. Pretty surprising to find out that I almost ran my battery completely out of power on just the servo operation alone. I have a timer set up on my transmitter that is triggered on and off by the throttle stick. Usually I can get roughly 6 minutes of thrust out of each battery. I set the timer to go off at the 5 minutes mark so this would give me about 1 minute reserve for thrust for landing and such. I had only about 2 minutes of total thrust on the timer but the battery was almost completely used up. I plan to set a second timer which will record total flight time, so, I can set it up for the alarm to go off after 5 minutes of thrust time or roughly 40 minutes of total flight duration. I would have not been happy if I lost total power on the Radian while it was a few hundred feet in alt. in the wind current.

It was a terrific flying session!

Last edited by SushiHunter; 01-22-2014 at 10:34 AM.