RCU Forums - View Single Post - CL Stunt and Pattern (similiar yet different)
Old 01-23-2014, 12:13 AM
Passport1
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So its coming up on a Year since my first contest and after remodeling the garage, building 2 dirty birdy's for Joe, and painting a Q-40 for Rusty, in the last 10 days, I was finally able to get away. I arrived yesterday and it took me several flights just to get the plane and engine working like it was at home. We are about 2200 feet higher then home and just like with the pattern planes they fly a little different. However by mid afternoon it was coming together and I started to be able to relax a little and focus on some of the finer points. I think I was able to get in 12-14 flights and all in all was pleased at the end of the first day.

Day 2 started off really good and at this point, being sure I had my SV11/PA75 combo about as good as it could be I asked Bob Whitely if he would fly it to see what thinks. Bob is hands down one of the best in the world when it comes to trimming a stunter. Most planes are far enough off that he can just watch them fly and immediately tell what it needs. However this plane was built by a top guy and I have been fine tuning it for 300 flights so it was pretty close. Or so I thought lol.

Well I started it up with Keith holding while Bob went out to the handle. Keith let it go and like in the past Bob proceeded to fly a very respectable flight with a plane he had never flown. After it was over and as soon as the plane stopped he started yelling for me to come out to the handle. As I walked up he's moving the handle asking me if I hear something. It wasn't until I got with a couple feet that I could hear a faint clicking. It was the line clips where they attach to the handle, every once in a while would just catch in the hole. He said to bevel the hole on both sides and remove 3.5 grams of tip weight and try it again. Well once again how much difference could that really make? Well I will tell you NIGHT and DAY. lol Holy crap is it on rails now. BTW If this stuff is boring to you guys just say so and I won't keep posting I am just really blown away every time something like this happens and feel the need to pass it on.

3.5 grams, or 1/8th of an ounce off of a 62 inch wingspan model, with a piped 75 2 stroke just doesn't seem like enough to make a difference but it did. Anyway we flew until dark again and the last couple flights were my best to date.

Its Still 2 more days until the contest and anything can happen but at least its looking respectable and its early yet. I will get some pictures tomorrow of some really cool planes here. Not all stunters but cool none the less. I even got to see a scale Russian Bear with 4 cox o2o's and counter rotating props. UNBELIEVEABLE.