RCU Forums - View Single Post - Royal Kits
Thread: Royal Kits
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2014, 08:49 PM
bobbydee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scale dail
Ol'666 Neat! One of my favorite Dogfights episodes.
I hate to admit for the world to know, but I lost number 4 on take off at a Scale Masters qualifier. Normaly there would have been just enough rudder to keep control on a normal take off, but I was making it as slow as possible and lifted off with minimum speed above a stall. As I cleared the end of the runway she made a perfect wing over straight into the ground.
Other than that I have about 75 flights on her in about a year's time with never a hiccup from the engines The engines are OS 15CV's. Let me tell you somthing about a Royal B-17, It should weigh no more than 12 pounds. If you put 4 strokes or .25's It's going to get heavy. That is when they get tricky to fly. Unfortunately The OS .15CV engines were discontinued last year. I would consider the Mecoa .18's but I have no experience with them. My B-17 will go almost straight up with the 15CV's at 14.5 pounds. I have NEVER flown it ever with full power. I use 50% power to take off and cruise with 30%. If your Mac Hodges then then stuff it with power and flip, snap, and hover it. I like making it look realistic. That's why its a model of a B-17!
In my town (Los Angeles) There are a group of guys that fly Hobbyking foamy B-17's. They are about the same size as the Royal B-17 and it is fun to fly formation with them. I am right at home with 4 perfect running glow engines as they plug in and whrr away.
There is another issue, If you install retracts as I did there is only room for 4 oz tanks. I get 11 min air time at cruise power.
I've posted this before here, but I think it is really neat, so here it is again. The Royal B-17 is the one with the flaps down a bit to stay with the foam 6 pounders.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fV9zWnRuqY

absolutly boss......great video!, love bon-jovi.and I own a horse. 15 or 18's it is then....dont remember were I got the 25 Idea. anybody need some used 25's? I love odd wwII airplanes and "ole 666" is one.just googled it up again, what a story.