RCU Forums - View Single Post - LETS SAVE SIG BEFORE THEY GET SWALLOWED BY THE BIG TWO!!!
Old 01-31-2014, 08:51 AM
SushiHunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone ever built a 70's era SIG Komet before? I'm in the middle of building one now. The kit is between 40 and 45 years old I think. This Komet is actually the 5th SIG build in the years that I've been involved with building/flying r/c. So far, this build has turned out the best work I've ever done to date, due to a combination of gathered experience and extended amount of patience. However....the tail section of this build has been the most challenging for me out of all the planes I've ever built so far. Not sure if it's me or if this type of kit is challenging in that area to build. The fuselage has a plastic cover on the top so in the tail of the plane, the fuselage halves, vertical and horizontal stabilizers all come together. Usually the horizontal stabilizer is not a big deal because most of the time they are simply a flat piece of balsa that has been shaped accordingly. However, what makes this Komet a challenge is because the horizontal stabilizer is actually constructed just like the main wing where it has a foam core and sheeted in balsa skin. So both the upper and lower portions of the fuselage along with the bottom of the vertical stabilizer all have to be shaped for the horizontal stabilizer to fit. All this has to fit extremely accurate It's been a real challenge but after "massaging" all of it into place, it's really turned out beautiful. This SIG Komet will be the most beautiful piece of work I've done by far to date. Has anyone else had this issue with this specific kit before?

Last edited by SushiHunter; 01-31-2014 at 08:56 AM.