RCU Forums - View Single Post - A Few Building Ideas To Chew On
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2014, 01:09 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DagTheElder
Hi Matt,
I am in the process of building another plane of my own design. The plug is ready and so are all wings and rudder but not covered. The rudder is a build up from balsa and measures 522 cm2 thats is about 80 sqinches i think. Weight is 28.8 gram.
I think that is not bad!!!
I agree, Just over 1 ounce. Did you plan to cover and paint or just cover with plastic film?

BTW- my as yet unfinished rudder is of similar size to yours. Approximately 15" in span and 5" in chord average....about 75 square inches. The finishing will add a little weight certainly. Right now the weight stands at 21 grams,

The rudder's LE is actually a piece of molded balsa sheet, 3/32" thick. The bottom is rounded and that too is covered with 1/32" molded sheet. The proper angle was simply molded in using a pair of angled aluminum pieces. The foam behind the molded pieces is much easier to shape accurately so the balsa shape just snaps in place.

I've done the molded LE trick before with rudders and elevators and it works well. I don't use plastic film tho. I cover using carbon veil or esaki tissue and nitrate dope. It produces an extremely stiff rudder that's plenty strong.

Any time you can save one ounce or more from thetail, take it