RCU Forums - View Single Post - A Few Building Ideas To Chew On
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2014, 10:31 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dhal22
Matt, thx for the compliments to the classic pattern crowd. We love to build, that helps a lot. And yes this side of the pattern forums is much more interesting to follow.
BTW, I've always followed and read your threads. Your gas pattern engine experiments are appreciated by many.

As for plane weight, most of us here replace old wood or build from plans with thinner and/or lighter wood to achieve much lighter weights than the originals. My Blue Angel is fully painted, wings and all and weighs about 8 lbs. Please give us a build thread to follow.
Thanks Dave. My heart has always been in the building of these crates. Flying for me often took a back seat no matter how successful I was (eons ago it seems).

I don't have a thread on the build per se. Just ideas I've come up with over the years that might help others. Molded LE's for control surfaces is something I've done over the past 10 years or so. Instead of using a plank and then shaping that, I wondered if a premolded piece could be built and installed accurately. It turns out to be a simple thing especially if the included angle is 90 degrees and weight savings is about 25% over a shaped plank.

BTW- I've taken some photos but I haven't as yet downloaded any in the new RCU format so I may be in for some frustrating moments....