RCU Forums - View Single Post - Va .049
Thread: Va .049
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2014, 06:07 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Which one?

My MK II RC turns a rubber ducky 5-3 at 25k even on 25%. These are rare and if you have the chance get it and get it now.

They are stronger than a TD but not immensely so. Either version is far behind a contemporary Fora, Cyclon, Profi etc. Not sure if this will show up properly:

(go to www.mh-aerotools.de and to Cox and to other small engines at the bottom)

[TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD="width: 360, bgcolor: #ffffff, align: center"][/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #800000"]VA .049 (0.8 cm³)
Manufactured in 1995(?)
This small engine comes from Russia and has a brass cylinder with an integral, chromed liner. With its Schnürle porting, it was a good performer, available with a glow or a Diesel head. Its production has been superceded by the Stels engine shown below. (I am not sure whether this story is correct - all these small engines from St. Petersburg are somewhat confusing).
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #008080"]VA .049 Mk. I (0.8 cm³)
Manufactured in 1990
This is the first production version of the VA .049 engine, featuring a unique, horizontally split crankcase. The engine was developed for free flight and control line contest models. The development by Valentin Aloshkin in St. Petersburg was initiated by Dan Rutherford. The crankcase is held together by a tiny screw on the bottom rear and the black collar behind the drive washer. The piston, running in the nickel plated casing, is also something special, as it consists of a smaller center piston with a «screw on» outer piston. Thus it is possible to adjust the timing by placing shims between the two piston parts. A standard Cox glow head is used and the nicely machined exhaust port flange is tempting me to build a small tuned pipe for this engine... Other samples of this engine are equipped with a head for a standard glow plug.
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #800000"]VA .049 Mk. II (0.8 cm³)
Manufactured in 2004(?)
This is the revised version of the VA .049 engine, now with a conventional crankcase. This sample came equipped a nice R/C carburetor and a muffler. The head consist of a button held in place by a screw on retainer ring. It accepts Nelson glow plugs. The transfer ports have been machined into the chromed brass sleeve, which therefore is very thin in these areas. The wrist pin is contained within a screw in carrier so that the piston has a closed outer surface. Finally the crankshaft with its generous bore has a balanced counterweight. All these measures make the engine good for high performance. The small carburetor has an adjustable stop and an adjustable bleed air hole for low idle speed. Pressure taps are available on the muffler as well as in the knurled backplate.
These engines are available from Larry Driskill http://www.kittingittogether.com (as of 12/2005)
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]