RCU Forums - View Single Post - interesting reading
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2014, 04:30 PM
JohnShe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JW0311
Are we expecting the FAA to leave the regulation and enforcement of all things model aviation up to the CBO or would the FAA want to set the guidelines for the CBO? Given the FAA's strict regulation of aviation, would we expect to see their influence in model aviation? I understand that the comparison between model aviation and civil/commercial aviation is not apples to apples if you will; however, I wonder if the FAA will see it that way? Should I expect to go through a certification process to fly my planes and will my planes need to have an air worthiness certificate? It's not my intention to be a jerk here. I'm truly curious. Or am I putting the cart before the horse?

James
James, there are many threads on this forum covering the topics of your post. In short form, expressed as my personal opinion only, based on what the FAA spokespeople have said and on what the AMA has said, there will be no extreme regulation of model aviation. This opinion is not 100% shared by all who post here but there is some consensus.

The FAA has told us at AMA forums that they do not want to regulate model aviation. Instead, they just want us to fly responsibly according to a set of rules spelled out by the AMA. The AMA in turn has signed and agreement with the FAA that seems to express this concept.

Therefore, there will be no certifications, no licensing and even AMA membership is not required. So go on and have fun, safely and responsibly.

I do have a licensing scheme cooked up for LCS. He will pay me $200,000.00 for a license permit. After he passes an impossible written test, I will return $100,000.00 with a license scribbled on a used post-it note. If he wants to fly an aircraft of any kind, I will certify the airframe for a fee of $500,000.00 if he ships the aircraft to me and allows me to thoroughly inspect and test it for 6 months. After the tests have been completed. I will return the pieces of his aircraft along with an air-worthiness certificate written on a used post-it note.

Last edited by JohnShe; 03-05-2014 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Oops!