RCU Forums - View Single Post - Great Planes Extra 300
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2014, 02:24 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
John, the OS 108 was in fact a BGX-1 not to be confused with the OS BGX 35cc glow engine. I have no idea what BGX stands for but apparently OS feels both engines are in that category. The Carb in the picture is a Webra TN carb off of a Speed 120.

I think the 1.08 may have been called the BX-1 at one time but not BGX-1 I have two 1.08's in airplanes and after a little digging with a mirror and torch they are cast with the FSR model marking Those two date back a long time I have long since lost the original manuals but a search of the web reveled manuals listed as OS 1.08;FSR and in parenthesis BX-1.

I am holding my BGX-1 in hand and the differences between the 1.08 and the BGX-1 1 are clear. The smaller engines most obvious ID point is the fact it has a round cylinder and the BGX-1 one is square. I also believe SRT that you are right about the carburetor as that is not the 1.08's stock carb in the picture.

So I believe the engine in the picture is definitely not a BGX-1 but a 1.08 FSR (BX-1) and it probably safe to say that most of the prop recommendations in this thread are pretty good but not with the BGX-1.

I too would love to know what all the B's, G's and X's stood for

John

Last edited by JohnBuckner; 03-06-2014 at 02:27 PM.