RCU Forums - View Single Post - FAA fine against drone photographer dismissed.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:52 PM
cj_rumley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JW0311
My Fire Department is considering using a quad copter equipped with a Go Pro camera for use during wildland fires and rescue operations. Having a birds eye view for the purpose of making tactical decisions is something we think may be helpful. The images would be used for real time operational decisions and for training. Would this be considered commercial use? Would the firefighter using the copter need to be an AMA member? Would we need permission from the land owner if we were operating on private property? This would be in a special fire district. Would we be considered a government agency and would that make any difference? Got to fly it the other day during some testing. Kind of fun. Definitely a different type of flying. We are aware that this is a hot topic but the real time images, we believe, could be life saving. Should we be expecting a visit from the FAA? I'm not sure that comparing what we want to do and what this gentleman did are the same but i have to wonder none the less. I noted while reading that the FAA is asking government and police agencies to advise them (ask permission) before testing. Does our use differ in their eyes? The images gathered would not be use for any purpose other than training and tactical decisions during any fire-ground operations.

James
What you are considering is a "public" use, rather than commercial, ("civil" in topical FAA releases). I don't think your FD differs from other "public" users of unmanned aircraft you have read about as to being required to ask and be granted permission from FAA. Not easy, but doable, given that hundreds of public service agencies have obtained the necessary certification to use them on an experimental basis, while only 2 commercial users have.
Your application of the technology is a natural, but FAA has lagged badly on getting the regulatory provisions in order that will allow it......they have spent years "getting ready to get ready," and only recently came out with a 'roadmap' for getting the job done.
I don't know what costs are involved in pursuit of getting FAA permission to operate, but expect that it may be a significant burden on your FD budget. Vendors of such systems of course have a vested interest in equipping you, and so are a probably your best source of advice on navigating the regulatory process.