RCU Forums - View Single Post - Am I doing the right thing?
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2014, 08:03 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of my planes were/are used and I still look for used deals when they come up. I have bought some new planes ,engines, etc.. but rarely have I bought everything new for a new plane. Usually an engine known good servos go in.
Even then I feel bad if I loose a plane and I feel bad when I see someone else loose one even though it's "part of the game". After I got over the jitters from learning to fly or taking up a new plane I never let the cost of crashing stop me from having fun and pushing the limits so to speak as I got to be a better pilot.
Like they say, if one worries about the cost and time they have into a plane if/when it crashes then this is probably not the hobby one should be in. Remember, ALL planes have an expiration date !
My first 33% plane was a unfinished kit(80% built) and I found a new engine at a good used price as well as servos, smoke system, etc... They only things I bought new were switches,batteries, wiring, and regulators. You don't have to jump into it head first buying everything new unless you want to ,or feel comfortable doing it that way. If fear of costs start coming into play then go used.
I'd like to get into turbines some day but at this point the costs are keeping me away. If I ever do it either used or new I know I will be sweating bullets for the first several months flying it!