RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1959 Berkeley Impulse Single Channel Pylon Racer Build
Old 03-23-2014, 03:26 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

That could be, Ken. One thing I have to say about the kits of the era, were the costs were very reasonable due to heavy competition and the popularity of model airplane kits. One could easily find them in department stores. I remember back in the mid 1960's going to the Cornet Variety Store several blocks from where we lived, seeing several rows of hundreds of kits, these being Comet rubber powered models of all types and sizes, from their beginner series on up. Even though they were priced at retail, they were still very affordable. The local grocery store, I think it was an A&P had balsa gliders, rubber powered ROGs and even an unassembled 1/2-A CL ARF (Jimmy Allen?) in clear plastic cellophane hanging on a rack.

Hobby stores were always nearby. Even the military bases had hobby stores, which were in a separate building. Then in the mid 1970's, hobby stores started disappearing.

Even though the wood in this Berkeley kit isn't the greatest, it is still light enough and usable enough (except for a few pieces like the rudder) to successfully build a flying model.