RCU Forums - View Single Post - Quad altitude record
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2014, 05:58 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by tonywayne
Yes i have read through the safety code. Wasn't aware of the 400 foot within 3 miles of an airport rule. I realize the quad/drone boom is a sensitive subject right now. Its funny how we have been attaching cameras to our machines for years but as soon as the non r/c general public hears the word "drone" everyone panics. Flying any other fixed wing or heli that has just as much capability, cam mounted or not, people hardly turn a head, but when people see the four legged flying robot its the most amazing thing they have ever seen. I have never got so much attention from the hobby before.
Hi tonywayne ,

First and foremost , You have my apology for being so blunt in my original post to you . The fact that you seem to care about doing the right thing is obvious by the "sorry for being a jackass" that you posted . Now , insofar as the 400 foot thing , I feel a bit of clarification is in order here . To begin , we must look past the AMA safety code and any language within with regards to 400 feet . I would like to direct your attention instead to the FAA document ; "Advisory Circular 91-57" as published back sometime in 1981 . This document , specifically addressing model aircraft operations , calls for a 400 foot limit REGARDLESS of any proximity to any full scale airfield and then goes on to request communication with the tower for ANY model aircraft operations that will be conducted within 3 miles from any airport . There is no language whatsoever about ; "if your going higher than 400 feet within 3 miles of an airport THEN you have to contact said airport" , as most folks seem to want to interpret it ! The FAA's position is plainly obvious , NO model airplanes above 400 feet . Period . Now I also realize that some folks want to interpret the language of "voluntary compliance" to mean "optional" , but this is not the case either , they are encouraging voluntary compliance with the implied overtone that if you don't comply the FAA will enforce compliance on those who choose not to "volunteer" . This language can and will be used in any prosecution of a criminal case involving a higher than 400 feet model aricraft that ends up going through the windshield of a full scale , and you can take that to the bank . Now , for further reading , I will attempt to link AC 91-57 to this post so that all can see the language contained within it is perfectly clear .....