RCU Forums - View Single Post - Screwing your Buddy in the classifieds
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2014, 10:56 AM
DISCUS54
My Feedback: (211)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Screwing your Buddy in the classifieds

Hi guys, this is not a effort to smear anyone but rather an attempt to bring to the surface some behavior in the RCU classifieds which is interesting. NOW, everyone loves the classifieds and I'm right there with you all,

however; as is the case with so many GOOD things in life, there seems to be unintended consequences at times. Perhaps I'm alone, perhaps not...but I think the root of the issue I am having with the classifieds comes

down to the reputation.

So here it is: How many times have you searched the listings to find that special item in vain...and then, after many, many hours of fruitless searching you finally see it for sale? Upon reading the

listing you determine that this is exactly what you want...maybe not need...but want. You notice that your the first person to make an offer and because of your desire to obtain this precious item (in your mind, not your

wife's) you offer full asking price. Some time later, perhaps minutes, hours, or days the seller contacts you and states that "it is yours and will send invoice but is at the field currently flying". Your elated....and this is the

GOOD.

Now, the DARK SIDE creeps in...it is another fellow modeler, perhaps your flying buddy, who also sees said precious item and seeing that an offer has already been made knows that being late to the show he

will either have to hope the first offer was below asking price or he will have to offer higher than asking price in order to gain favor with the seller....not knowing what has already transpired between the seller and first

offer. Second bidder now assumes he needs to make a higher than asking price to be competitive...and does so. We all know that as a seller we can sell to whoever, for whatever reason we deem fit (with no offer

OFFICIALLY accepted yet)....but for simplicity lets say the reason here is money. A sort of quasi bidding war insues with the seller now receiving other offers for even more money.

The BAD now....

our seller, not being just anyone's idot, says to self...wooh! I have asked to little for this obviously RARE, HIGHLY SOUGHT AFTER ITEM... I NEED MORE, I DESERVE MORE, for this. In this situation and others like it

nothing is really out of the ordinary. My question though, falls on the seller....as it is the seller that has the choice to make. What would be the right course of action? Having been both buyer and seller in these situations I

know what I would do, but I am interested in seeing where our group is as a whole...Item sold to first agreed to...either at original price or a higher price matching later offer, item relisted, or item sold to whoever came in

with highest offer with no consideration to other offers. I will try to post a poll, as I would like to see what the break down is...please remember, I would like to know what you would do as the seller.

VOTE IN THE POLL

Last edited by DISCUS54; 04-08-2014 at 07:00 AM.