RCU Forums - View Single Post - Airboat Outrigger build (foam core)
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2014, 08:09 PM
arcdude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airboat Outrigger build (foam core)

Hi guys I have been in contact with a few of you guys and am pleased to find like minded individuals who are willing to invest of themselves the time and effort in a project. My name is Al by the way and my project is to construct an outrigger with a foam core and lite ply exterior and fiberglass to top it off. I have searched top to bottom and have been unable to find a lot of information out there to have a firm footing as to what will work and what won't. So I'll blunder my way through this and hopefully have a nice model in the end that will provide many hours of enjoyment. I'm new to this whole posting thing but am willing to share what knowledge I have with everyone and hopefully benefit from others experience in the process.

I will be taking tons of pics along the way so please feel free to ask for further information or a closeup snapshot along the way and if you have any input I will welcome it with open arms. I have built other rc boats and full size boats in the past and spent several years building airplanes and rebuilding airplanes, anyone who has flown knows what I'm saying.

So the basics, as for size it will be around 40" with approx 18"x2" sponsons and will be powered by a lonely 90 ST looking for a home. The tub will be 4" wide and tapering to about 2.5" at the transom and approx 38" long. I have always thought a foam core would be a different way to construct a boat so that is the process I will be using for this. My expectation is to have a rtr weight of 4.5 - 5 lbs. As some of you may have experienced it may be somewhat intimidating for the first time builder to construct a project of this design so if you're all willing I may be somewhat simplistic in some of the construction methods in the event it may spur a first timer to give it a try. (Not trying to dumb it down or bore anyone) I say simplistic but basically demonstrating a model like this can be built with the most basic of hand tools and a tight budget.

I will be drawing something up and posting a few pics in the next day or two, til then!