RCU Forums - View Single Post - ME-163 - this looks like fun/trouble
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2014, 06:47 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The one pictured above is just the lekkie, not the one that will get the .45 - I am ordering another airframe from iCare for the glow job.

The electric version will eventually be for flying in the community center out back where I do the parkies. Eventually, meaning after I trim it somewhere else and figure out if I actually can land it there. Depends how many pounds of batteries I guess. The .45 version is for bigger venues.

While I am waiting for the airframe I can get out the contour gauge, get profiles from this fuselage and work on the motor mount and that stuff. This looks like a pretty simple project with promises of stupid fun as a reward. The wing is deep enough for some pretty beefy servos.

This is a fairly low cost ARF airframe - $99 - $109 retail. Just a hollow shell, you figure out how to mount stuff. The wings are prepped for elevon servos of course. It's probably pretty fun just building it stock with a peppy amount of electric power. But it begs for abuse. I guessed wrong at the wingspan, it's about 36".

The wing airfoil is nothing special, not a flying wing airfoil, and needs a lot of reflex in the elevons according to the instructions. I'd like to see what can be done about that. Given the molded fuselage which saves so much work, I'd entertain cutting new wings with a flying wing airfoil.